Together We Win

Boundary disputes? You can resolve them with these methods

On Behalf of | Oct 7, 2020 | Real Estate Law |

It can be hard to move into a space and realize that you don’t know the exact boundary of your property. Alternatively, perhaps you know what the boundary is, but your neighbor keeps going over it and pushing in further onto your property.

When there is a boundary dispute, that’s an issue that has to be handled as soon as possible. Boundary disputes can be simple to resolve in some cases, requiring only a property survey. Other times, you may need to go to court after filing a quiet title lawsuit.

How can a property survey help during a property boundary dispute?

With a property survey, the survey will show the property lines. Whether you’re planning to put up a fence, plant trees or take other steps near the boundary of your property line, it’s a good idea to have a survey done. Sometimes, a survey isn’t possible, because the property or wording of the deed might make it too difficult to determine the actual boundary. For example, some older deeds may have stated that the property boundary was a specific number of feet from the woods or a river bed. That kind of boundary would move, making it hard to identify the original boundary.

What happens when it’s too difficult to establish a boundary with a property survey?

If a property survey isn’t possible, then another option is to use a quiet title lawsuit. You can file this with the court and ask that a judge determines the boundary lines of the property in question. Keep in mind that a quiet title lawsuit is going to be more expensive than a property survey, in most cases, so this is normally the last option to pursue over other, less-expensive ways of finding the boundary lines.

Boundary disputes can quickly upset neighbors and result in additional problems, so it’s a good idea to ask for a survey before you purchase a property or start doing work on a property near the assumed boundary lines. If your neighbor does come to you over an issue, then you may want to speak with your attorney about the next steps to take.